Saturday 13 September 2014

The Allure of the Lure

Whereas most fisher-people these days feel that fly fishing is the ‘true’ art of fishing and turn their noses up at the ‘hardware’ fisherman, I would like to take a stand on behalf of myself and the other trolling-casting fisher-people out there.


For one thing, I don’t want to sit in one spot or area all day long. It is just way to enjoyable to troll off shore in 20 to 35 feet of water and make my way around a lake or bay enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. The advent of the electric trolling motor allows one to hear every birds chirp, loon’s lonely call or splash of fish as they break surface for whatever reason.








Having said that, a small gas or propane powered outboard motor works just as well as the electric, except for the sound emitted. But the putt-putt of the outboard motor in no way impedes your ability to catch fish.


Now I’m probably giving away one of the Secrets to Successful Fishing, but then no one knows where I fish so I guess it won’t matter anyway. Besides, sharing is far more important than hoarding good fishing information. After over 40 years of successful fishing I feel very confident that I can tell you the how-to for catching and/or releasing of way more Rainbows than any fly fisher-person has experienced.


The two-blade Ford Fender half and half (chrome and brass) with a Wedding Band tagging along about 10 to 16 inches behind, with a little enticement of shrimp or the customary dew worm covering the single barbless hook, is truly one of the Secrets to Successful Fishing, my friends.


Some days I wonder why I bring along all the other lures at all. I have rarely changed my format over all these years, and when I have, I usually find myself unrigging the willow leaf or whatever I have on and rigging back up my old standby. Don’t try to fix what’s not broken


Now, of course there’s a lot more to the exact science of enticing that Rainbow to bite, but I’ll leave that for another day; for now though, just let me leave you with a bit of advice…. The true art of fishing is only learned by going fishing. Whether a fish is caught or not, to me, is secondary. It’s in the getting out and ‘doing’ the fishing that is the elixir for the sole. Just enjoy being there. And enjoy Nature. Oh….I think I just had a bite…!


Blacky Bunce


13 Sept 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment